Why are truffles so expensive?

We all know that truffles are expensive. Everything on a menu that includes truffles like pasta is pricey. But why are they so expensive?

Let me start by explaining what truffles are exactly. They are extremely rare and very hard to find fungi. Yes, fungi are kind of like mushrooms but there is a small difference – mushrooms grow outside of the ground and truffles grow underground which makes them very hard to find.

There are different truffle species

  • Winter White
  • Winter black
  • Muscat Black
  • Musky Black
  • Himalayan Black
  • Chinese Black
  • Autumn Black
  • Summer Black
  • White truffles

Of course, there are more but not all of them taste good and some of them don’t have a taste at all.

The reason they are expensive

The first reason why truffles are so expensive is that they can’t be planted or farmed. They are wild and they prefer to grow in places where there’s moisture on warm days and nights that are cool. They also grow on trees like oak, pine, hazel trees.

Some of the most popular places for truffles are the Italian and the French countryside. Of course, some grow in Australia or the Pacific Northwest.

They grow very slow (four to six years for some types) and don’t last long when they are out of the ground.

The hardest step is finding them. The people that are searching for truffles use animals with great senses to help them find them. Some rely on swine which is very risky since the animal might eat the truffle.

Some train dogs as well. Once the ‘‘hunters’’ find the truffle, they carefully dig the truffles up.

So to answer your question on why truffles are so expensive – the whole process of finding them is very hard, long, and they are very rare.

The most expensive truffle is the white one – they are the rarest, have a short season, and they can’t be frozen. They are around $3,600 for a pound.

How to clean and sanitize kitchen tools and utensils

Cleaning and sanitizing your kitchen tools and utensils are quite important for your health. It prevents all the germs and bacteria from spreading – something you don’t want to happen in the environment you cook in. Cleaning and sanitizing are two different things though.


Cleaning removes dirt from your kitchen tools and utensils. It removes the things you can see. Right after you use your kitchen tools you wash them by scraping any food debris. Then using a clean sponge or a brush you scrub each item using dish soap. Then you rinse the detergent and you let them air dry.


Sanitizing is quite different from cleaning. By sanitizing your tools you remove things you can’t see like bacteria and germs. It is known that some germs cause illness like Salmonella, Norovirus and many more so it’s quite healthy to sanitize your kitchen.


Well, quite easy. You spray the surface with a sanitizer of your choice. You leave it on for some time so it can kill the bacteria and germs. Then you allow it to air dry or you clean it with a paper towel.

There are some household products you can use as a sanitizer – chlorine bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or white distilled vinegar.

Chlorine Bleach

It’s very effective. You only need a small amount – 1 teaspoon of chlorine bleach to 1 quart of water. Don’t buy a fragranced one. Also, buy what you will use within 3 months, as it breaks down with time.

The water used in the mixture needs to be at room temperature –hot water will make the chlorine dissipate. Leave it on for about a minute. Then allow it to air dry or dry it off with a clean paper towel.

Hydrogen Peroxide/ White Distilled Vinegar

  1. Heat ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide or vinegar to 150° F. Pour the solution into a spray bottle and immediately spray the desired surfaces with it. Leave for 1 minute and wipe with a clean paper towel. This method does a great job at removing Listeria monocytogenes, E-coli and Salmonella.
  2. Use ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide or white distilled vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle. It should be room temperature. Spray the surface you will sanitize and leave it for 10 minutes before wiping it with a clean paper towel. This removes mainly E-coli and Salmonella.

Do not mix hydrogen peroxide and vinegar together.

Regardless of how you decide to sanitize your kitchen tools and utensils, you need to clean them first otherwise the sanitization won’t be effective.

Provided by: Carpet Cleaning Manchester